Thursday, February 01, 2007

Some dreams and some painting prep work, Part 1

Friday I had a wonderful dream: I was in my house, a wonderful, big, square, solid house with woodwork and details that were finely crafted but unobtrusive, giving a spacious, glowing, airy feeling; lots of rooms, a California craftsman expanse. Expansive. At least one big room, big enough for a ballet studio, was full of my paintings. We had a black bear cub living with us, a big floppy guy, and I sat on the steps with Melissa and her baby (maybe Zach, maybe not), and someone else.

Some people came in to stay, and we were going away; maybe a movie crew, to shoot on location, or some other renters or tenants. When we came back, the paintings were down and some were missing I think, and some other things, but I wasn't troubled. I was a bit concerned about how they'd respond if they encountered the bear cub. But I loved the dream.

Sunday morning I had a not-happy dream. I was on my way, with Melissa, to meet Paul at a very special friend's wedding, and I realized that I was missing part of what I was supposed to wear (I was wearing a vivid, kind of sparkly blue and purple outfit), and a camera or something I was supposed to bring. We were already late, or almost late; I might have been still eating, in the car; we didn't have time to go back... Not good. And then, trying to go through a labyrinthine building to get there, I got lost. Before that, Melissa and I were in her apartment, which had about six inches or a foot of water in it, and our long dresses or bathrobes were getting soaked at the bottom.

Saturday I helped Paul spread straw around the base of the new studio, so that if it rained the red clay wouldn't splash onto the green paint; and then I gessoed 25 pieces of masonite. That was good, even though I got kind of stuck in driven, punitive work mode, putting off dinner.

Sunday I organized & consolidated the recycling, and gathered packing materials I want to hold on to, in anticipation of having to ship little paintings - hopefully lots of them... Then I did some packing up in my studio, a box of books mostly. I want to list them, so I can remember what's happened to them, and what's where. Then I cleaned my palette, and was all set to start on my Painting a Day project. Whee!

No comments: