Thursday, February 01, 2007

Some dreams and some painting prep work, Part 2

Monday morning when I took Chief out for his wake-up outing, he looked up the hill, so I suspected the nearby presence of deer - and that reminded me of a bit of my dream. Much of it is vague - something about driving up a hill kind of like a ramp, in snow or something; having trouble with the car, I think; but I think there was something about Harry Potter in it, and then a bit I remember vividly: a young buck deer behind us, me and Paul, as we were sitting on a kind of mound or slope at the edge of the parking lot, woods behind us. I think I invited the buck nearer, maybe challenging him, as I like to do. His head came towards us, accepting the challenge, I think, and I got nervous, somewhat nervous about his antlers, but even more about a very small, very sharp greenish spine at the base of each of his antlers that I thought was poisonous. He was trying to scratch me with it. I grabbed his head and his antlers, trying to keep out of range, confine his head, wrapping my arms around, wrestling with him. I did enjoy the close encounter with him, the feel of his antlers with his muscle behind them.

I looked at needing to keep some balance, as far as keeping housework going as well as art, so I did a bunch of dishes and then cleaned our pellet stove. It was a mess! Another new watercolor brush arrived (another lovely gray squirrel quill), yippee!, and I bought myself a canvas drop cloth I've since cut in pieces to spread on the table and the couch when I do my gessoing, and another piece to protect my drafting table when I paint. Yippee again!

Tuesday I had to do a different sort of painting: the trim on our new studio. Paul and I got up on the roof - I refused to get up there without a rope to hang on to, and Paul had the brilliant idea of wearing our river shoes, soft tight rubber slippers with clingy soles, which gave us much better traction on the roof - and painted the eave-fascia on the dormer, then, off the roof and onto ladders, we finished the eave-fascia on the backside of the main roof. Paul had already painted the fascia on the rest of the roof. We needed to get all the roof trim done before the roofers came, which we thought was going to be yesterday; but after all, here they are today.

Meanwhile, I decided to go ahead and paint the pillars and beams of the "porch", which involved some tricky reaching around, on account of the limitations of ladder placement. Now it looks kind of Japanese. And when I finished that, I had some paint left in my tray, so I did some door, window and corner trim. Hey - painting is painting!!

Yesterday afternoon I finally did my first PAD painting. Yaaay! I wrote about that on my PAD blog, but I haven't posted the painting yet. I hope to do another painting today, but it's getting late - I need to drive down to Yuba City today - so I might not get to it. But I particularly want to photograph the first painting, and try to post it.

Hey, hey! Moving forward.

1 comment:

Steve Hayes said...

And that's it?

I found your blog because you were the only other person who listed "Perelandra" among their interests on Blogger.